Sunday, May 13, 2012

Yes!

I can't remember when I got my first library card, but I can recall many a happy walk home from Ishpeming's Carnegie Library. One of the best days ever was the day the librarians let me check out books from the adult section on my own  for the first time. As a kid, I could pick whatever I wanted from the children's section, but anything on the adult shelves required my mother's okay. That day, like most, my mother wasn't with me. She was home coping with my younger siblings, and I was doing her a favor by vanishing for the afternoon. I still remember the book: The Lone Ranger and the Mystery Ranch. Not exactly great literature, but what did I know? I was 8 years old and liked the tv show. 

Carnegie Public Library, Ishpeming, Michigan

5 comments:

  1. Sending this to my youngest, school librarian in North London. She will love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending my copy to Nancy at our library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read John Grisham's "The Litigators". Did that in three days! I speed read. I am serious, I can do a USA Today in mimutes!
    Now, for something technical I slow down - like a crossword or a tech manual.
    I could scan a "Flash precedence" message and be able to brief that to my boss quickly while in the Air Force.
    But, public libraries are without qestion visited by more people than most parks...

    And, God bless those librarians who seem to know where everything is!

    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are wonderful places but you have to be careful what you read and believe, books can really mess with your mind being as they are trying to sway you one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful library. Our town had a Carnegie library, too. It was a great place to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.