Sunday, January 25, 2015

The things one does for love

The S.O. saw his primary care physician recently. She's placed him on a low potassium diet. That means we get to go through the house eliminating all the foods that qualify as being high in potassium: oranges, potatoes, broccoli, yogurt, bananas. . . and chocolate. Well, I've decided to make the ultimate sacrifice. In the interest of protecting the S.O.'s health, I will throw myself upon any and all chocolate that's in the house.

The whole low potassium diet is a bit of a challenge. I've been looking at the food lists, and most of the stuff we actually like tends to also be on the high in potassium side of the equation. We've got house full of stuff the S.O. should avoid or eat only in small amounts. I guess at this point the good news is no one's told me (yet) to avoid any specific foods. In addition to throwing myself upon the chocolate, I'll get to take care of the high potassium fresh fruit and eat the parsnips that get cooked with the roast. This whole low potassium thing will require more thinking than we usually put into shopping lists. Maybe I'll just start carrying a list of the things that are highest in potassium so I remember not to casually toss them into the cart at Larry's Market. Definitely something to think about. . .

But that's something to deal with the next time I go grocery shopping. Right now I think I hear some chocolate-covered cherries in the pantry calling my name.

4 comments:

  1. Geez, I eat yogurt and bananas every day. Oh well, I'd better eat a couple pieces of this chocolate I bought on sale after last Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your a good woman...making that kind of sacrifice for your old man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish your SO all the best with his diet. There are several reasons for a low K diet; I hope his are not on the bad end of the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If bacon and whiskey are low K I would be all right.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.