Monday, February 15, 2010

Two in a row on The Stupid, It Burns

A few months ago a Facebook friend persuaded me to sign up for something called Circle of Moms, despite the fact my kids are (thank Maude) adults now and I really don't get too excited about discussions about arranging playdates or coping with housebreaking toilet training.  Long story short:  once a week I get an e-mail reminding me there are discussions going on in that particular forum.  Generally I just hit the delete key.

The latest one, though, made me do a double take.  What was the topic?  "My son sees spirits in his bedroom."  Holy crap.  Could not resist linking to that one.

Turns out the writer is a young mom trying to figure out how to deal with the fact that her 3-year-old says he sees a person in his bedroom when he's trying to go to sleep (or has been told to go to sleep).  He's afraid to be in the room alone.  My reaction?  First, seeing a person is nothing compared to the floor snakes I told my kids about in an attempt to keep them trapped in their bunks from dusk to dawn (idea stolen from Bill Cosby, of course).  Second, the kid's a typical 3-year-old, has an imagination and is starting to use it.  Just follow all the usual time-tested tips (e.g., engage in mellowing out exercises right before bedtime, like reading a favorite story, stick to a routine, and stop letting the kid watch "Ghost Whisperer") and don't stress about it.

So what does Circle of Moms provide in the way of advice?  Lots of OMG, we used to live in a haunted house, too.  Spirits are real, spirits are evil, quick, call an exorcist. 

Jesus wept.

4 comments:

  1. Blogland seems overly ripe and well fertilized with people earnestly believing in occult, tea leaves, haunted houses and every other dopey cartoon pseudo concept there is. What kills me is how deeply these numskulls actually accept as fact, their pretend world of ghosts and goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And have you opted out of that group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an aside, it wasn't that long ago that the term generally employed to describe the maternal parent was "mother."

    "Mom" was an affectionate form of address employed within a mother-child relationship.

    The general substitution of "mom" for "mother" in vogue these days strikes this curmudgeon as revoltingly twee. The group name "Circle of Moms," to paraphrase Dorothy Parker, makes me want to fwow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jesus. some people. i "joined" that circle of moms bullshit and im glad i missed that one

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.