Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Happy Darwin Day!

So, Mr. Darwin, have you come to any conclusions yet? 
I read The Voyage of the Beagle in high school. In retrospect, the Saxon High School library had a solid selection of classics in the sciences. I read On the Origin of Species by Natural Selection while I was a student in Saxon, too. I think I read more science in the two years I spent at Saxon High School than I did in my final two years at Hurley. Of course, that could be because the fiction selections at Saxon ran heavily to Grace Livingston Hill, James Oliver Curwood, and Zane Grey. There's only so much formulaic fiction a person can read before one reaches in desperation for some well-written nonfiction, like Origin.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read the book, just parts of it here and there, but I believe in the science of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't the Christian fundamentalist go crazy if there was a holiday for Darwin?
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.