Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thanks for making me hate Christmas

It has begun. It started a little later than in previous years, but the deluge of "Don't say Happy Holidays!" and "Keep Christ in Christmas" messages landing in my In Box and showing up on Facebook is now in full flow. And as the annual rhetoric about the nonexistent war on Christmas heats up, once again I find myself thinking Jehovah's Witnesses just might have the right idea. They look at the historical origins of the holiday we all call Christmas; note that it is not in the Bible in any way, shape, or form; pronounce it (as it most certainly is) a Pagan Holiday; and choose to ignore it.

I wonder if they get as annoyed by all the annual stupidity over the mythical war on Christmas as I do? I've never been able to figure out how anyone with even two brain cells to rub together would believe the garbage that the rabble rousers on Fox spew each year about Christmas being under attack, but apparently a fair number of people fall for the nonsense. How anyone could believe there's a "war on Christmas" when stores start putting out Christmas merchandise right after Labor Day, every city in the country spends money on holiday decorations -- and let's get real; no municipality is going to bother with lighting displays just to celebrate the winter solstice (although it would be nice if they would; maybe some of the decorations would end up slightly less tacky) -- and over 80% of the population of the United States self-identifies as Christian is beyond me. How do you persecute a majority? It's logically impossible.

So what does it say when people start whining and bitching about other people saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" or go off on a rant when they see "Xmas" instead of "Christmas"? To me it says they're mean-spirited ignoramuses who like sucking all the joy out of the season. Someone wishes you well by saying "Happy holidays" and you respond by bitching at them? You're making the Grinch look good.

I used to sort of look forward to the holiday season. Christmas isn't my favorite holiday, but I liked having an excuse to bake gum drop cakes, do some specialized crafting, and put up a few decorations. It helped brighten the darkest time of the year. Not anymore. Now I find myself bracing for the first of the sanctimonious missives -- or worse, an in my face rant -- from one of my idiot cousins (and I've got several to pick from, unfortunately) and praying for January to get here fast.

So thank you, all you warriors in the battle to defend Christmas, for doing a stellar job of killing what it is you claim you're trying to save. You're doing a great job of turning a cheerful time of year into one that people dread.

5 comments:

  1. Magic is for kids and the magic is gone... Welcome to Walmart.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I'm not going to let Christians ruin Christmas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working in retail has ruined Christmas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny thing about the War on Christmas people is that there is nothing wrong with saying "Merry Christmas" to anyone. Their correct response if you speak first is what ever greeting you used. And vice versa. "Happy Holidays" is correct for institutions which serve the public - stores, government etc as they represent all belief systems not just Christian. Explaining that to the poor persecuted Christians is a waste of time as they simply want to be insulted. It makes them feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much haven't done it for almost 30 years, it is a 'holiday' that has always bothered me after my 20's and I ignore it as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.