Sunday, May 22, 2016

Divots, divots everywhere

I decided it was time to get serious about attacking the Canadian thistles growing in the yard. So I dug out the Claw from the gardening shed.

I tend to think of the Claw as a miracle tool. It does an amazing job of ripping weeds out of the lawn. The downside, of course, is that it leaves a noticeable hole behind.  Now multiply that hole by a gazillion. I knew there were thistles in the yard. I didn't realize just how many there were, though, until I got serious about ripping them out. Big chunks of the yard are now looking like they were attacked by a really bad golfer.

I'm not actually sure why I do worry about ripping out the thistles. They're the only weed that doesn't make the cut for being ignored. We've never been the type of people who lust after a patch of grass that looks a lot like a putting green. When it comes to the lawn, such as it is, everything that's not a thistle -- creeping charlie, dog tooth violets, dandelions, you name it -- gets left alone under the rationale of "Who cares if some people think it's a weed, it's green so it's better than bare dirt." I even ignore the burdock that keeps wanting to pop up next to the front porch.

Then again, burdock and dandelions are edible. Thistles are just annoying. So I'll keep ripping them out. Although I am wondering just wondering how many cubic yards of fill dirt I'm going to need to patch those divots.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of my boys borrowed mine about 8 years back or so ..never seen it since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada thistles are hell to control. Personally, I'd get a small bottle of Roundup and a small brush to apply it weed by weed.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.