Monday, July 6, 2026

Weather

The U.P. had an actual tornado this past week. It was major news. The Marquette Mining Journal has had it as a headline/front page news on their website for multiple days now. This area rarely experiences tornadoes. Granted, it was probably the lowest setting for a tornado, an EF-0, but the National Weather Service says, yes, actual tornado. Based on what was visible on social media, residents closest to the event reacted as though they've been tornado watching in Alabama or Arkansas for decades: lots of video taken by people who decided the best place to be while observing an approaching twister was on their front porch filming it. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know that! We were stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB back in the 1960's thru very early 1970's, which is just outside of Marquette, and now is a decommissioned Military Installation. Lots of lovely Lakes around there, but brutal Winters. I think Civilians have bought the Homes that used to be Base Housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you went to high school in Gwinn, home of the Model Towners. My S.O. was stationed at K.I. Sawyer in 1968. I thought it was funny when he told me that. Enlists in the Air Force to see the world and ends up duty stationed an hour's drive from home. The base closed in the early 90s; it's a mixed bag now with the facilities. Lots of stuff got torn down, like most of the barracks. Family housing is still there; some got sold to individuals and some is rental housing managed by some faceless corporate entity. The S.O. also wound up at Bangor, Maine, and on Cape Cod. The only "exotic" place he ever went was 30 days TDY to Keflavik. He says Iceland in June felt colder than the U.P. in the winter.

      Delete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.