Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another time sucker

FaceBook. Got talked into it last week, and suddenly "friends" are crawling out of the virtual woodwork.

I do need to watch what I do over there, though. I've been seeing an interesting warnings up about FaceBook, terms of use, and copyright/privacy issues. Apparently any photos a person or written material a person puts up becames the property of FaceBook for them to do with what they will. Not that I care much -- my photos aren't that great (they're usually nicely flawed by cat hairs clinging to the lens), and the writing is the equivalent of doodles.

Of course, the same is true of blogging in general. Any time a person puts anything up on the web, unless they embed something in the photo, like a nice diagonal overlay screaming COPYRIGHT in humongous letters, it's at risk of someone else doing a cut and paste and re-using it. About all one can do is hope that anyone lifting something is nice enough to tell the rest of the world where they found it. No, realistically the danger with FaceBook isn't anyone stealing my deathless prose -- it's me wasting more time than I should on an activity that's as ephemeral as an Atlanta snowfall.

5 comments:

  1. see!....I'm on it...I'll be your friend ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play in that sand box some too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed how all of a sudden Facebook is "it". I set my page up almost 2 years ago and now - everyone is knocking on my page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was recently lured in myself by a shiftless niece.virea

    ReplyDelete
  5. FaceBook. Got talked into it last week, and suddenly "friends" are crawling out of the virtual woodwork.

    I'll never go there, I spend way to damn much time on a computer as it is. I have better things to do with my time, like a life.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.