Saturday, February 28, 2009

A rose by any other name

may smell as sweet, but does re-labeled and higher-priced prune juice work as well as the original variety? According to Sunsweet it does.
Of course, they don't want you to confuse PlumSmart with your grandmother's prune juice, so the label calls it "New!" I love the little "for digestive health" blurb added to the label. No shit. And, to go with your new and improved prune juice, how about some chocolate covered fruit?

The ultimate antioxidant snack. Chocolate covered prunes. You've got to love it -- chocolate covered raisins are getting competition from another wrinkled fruit, but the chocolate covered "plums" don't just taste good, they're good for you.
I've been seeing the ads on television and being thoroughly amused by them -- I keep thinking "Not your Grandmother's Fruit!" whenever the ads run -- and wondering if Sunsweet thinks consumers really are so ignorant that they don't realize a dried plum is a prune. But this morning, in one of those moments that where external events neatly synchronize with personal thoughts, while I've been writing about a fruit noted for its association with the free flow of feces, Michelle Malkin has been babbling away in the background on C-SPAN. I don't have to ask about consumers and stupidity -- every time Malkin opens her mouth, some wingnut calls in to agree with her, and I realize that, yes, when it comes to discerning crap, Americans are pretty damn gullible.

5 comments:

  1. I love the Michelle Malkin/feces reference. I couldn't have said it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "while I've been writing about a fruit noted for its association with the free flow of feces, Michelle Malkin has been babbling away in the background on C-SPAN."

    Just made my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was especially gratified with your use of the vernacular "no shit."

    I have a horribly disgusting and embarrassing prune juice story so whenever I see prune juice, I wince a little.

    Which reminds me - Ranger Bob, if you read this and Mycroft's S.O. is having her first baby, be sure to mention to him (because I'm sure it would thrill him) to mention to her to do a little research on how to get your body restarted after the baby is born.

    Well, mention Malkin and I'm all ready to talk about shit, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember my 7 out of 10 theory from a previous post. The American public is plenty stupid and I would guess the number that don't know a prune is a dried plum would be about, oh, mmmm...... 7 out of 10?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it worked for Detroit. They managed to sell station wagons by calling them SUV's. Just think of "PlumSmart" as the SUV of prune juice.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.