Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mining


SueJ has the lyrics to this up over at Nailing Jello to the Wall, and that reminded me I'd seen this video someplace recently (and I am, of course, totally blanking on where).

One of the things that's been lost in teaching history in the US is just how incredibly violent American labor history is.  Everything we enjoy today -- e.g., the idea of an 8 hour day, 5 day work week -- was bought with blood.  If it had been left up to the employers, we'd all still be putting in 14 hour days and working for starvation wages.

2 comments:

  1. it would be that way right now if they could get away with it..which goes to show you why they have shipped so many plants to india, bangladesh, china, etc..

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.