Thursday, November 11, 2010

It feels like Saturday

Right down to the tinfoil hats on C-SPAN.  I'm not used to being home in the middle of the week, but it is a federal holiday so here I am.  And once again I'm marveling at the "facts" people can parrot without pausing at all to engage any brain cells.  Why is our economy in the toilet?  Because, and I paraphrase a caller from Alabama, there are billions of Mexicans in this country, all working illegally.  Which means, I guess, that Mexico itself is now a deserted wasteland, because its population had been only 100 million. 

Maybe the caller suffered from innumeracy -- I've noticed quite a few people who seem baffled by large numbers once they get past the number of digits they personally possess.  Million, billion, trillion. . . once a number has more than one comma in it, they can't tell the difference. 

1 comment:

  1. I once had a trillion brain cells but that was too many to keep control of and figure things out with so I started killing a bunch of them with beer.

    It's taken me fifty years but I'm getting them down to a controllable level.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.