Monday, November 8, 2010

Quantity vs quality

It's November. A fair number of my acquaintances are indulging in the annual madness known as National Novel Writing Month.  50,000 words in 30 days.

My thoughts after being shown examples of works in progress by several co-workers*?  A whole lot of people currently fantasizing about being the next Barbara Kingsolver or Michael Chabon would be much better off if they focused on writing haiku. If nothing else, the pain involved in reading their profferings wouldn't last as long.

[*An unfortunate mental affliction of way too many editors is that they confuse the ability to diagram sentences and correct other people's grammar with the ability to be writers themselves.]

2 comments:

  1. I'm shocked that they're willing to show anyone their stuff. I'm sitting on mine like a hen a clutch of eggs. Rotten eggs? The world may never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I have seen a few of those myself!

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.