Monday, March 25, 2019

Procrastination

I should be cleaning my home office area before the piles of unsorted stuff climb to life-threatening levels, but as usual I'm procrastinating. The stacks of stuff don't put me into the same class as the Collyer brothers yet, but my typewriter has disappeared. There's a definite limit as to how much I can stack on top of it before there's spillage to the sides.

And, yes, I still have a typewriter. Legacy technology. I even use it occasionally. I have days that fall between going truly retro (hand writing a letter) and using the computer. The typewriter fits that middle ground. Typing can be nice. It slows a person down a little, makes one stop and think a bit before committing words to paper. Writing out a whole sentence is not fun. Even worse is crumpling a whole page and starting over.

Plus, of course, typing on a manual typewriter, an old office-size Royal, requires more physical effort than typing on a keyboard. I'm burning double the calories and maintaining finger strength. When I see the doctor for the annual wellness exam I can say with a straight face I do exercise occasionally. He doesn't need to know the exercise basically stops at the wrists.

Besides the general desire to clean up the clutter, there's also the need to find all the museum-related stuff I've hauled home to work on while it's been too cold in the museum itself. I've been scanning and cataloging documents and photographs here at home because I figured out I wasn't real good at doing those tasks while wearing mittens. I even brought the museum computer home (it's a desktop but one without a tower; it's an all-in-one and thus remarkably portable despite having a large display screen and a standard keyboard) because it's where the PastPerfect database lives and it was easier to do updates here than in a walk-in refrigerator. With the snowbank in front of the building steadily shrinking -- as of Saturday the snow was maybe barely 2 feet deep and there must have been a whole four feet of sidewalk exposed on the parking lot side -- fairly soon I'll be able to carry it back and get the museum office restored to what passes for normalcy there.

It just struck me, though, that the sun is shining and temperatures are not horrible. If I'm going to avoid cleaning for awhile, there are better ways to procrastinate than wandering around the Intertubes or doodling with words on a blogpost. I do believe the Woman Cave is calling my name. Time to go cut some quilt pieces.

2 comments:

  1. When we graduated from college in the mid eighties, my wife typed all our resumes on a 1920's Remington my step father had bought used when he attended college. He had the typewriter with him at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Procrastination is working tomorrow for a better today.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.