Friday, January 30, 2009

Attack of the killer peanuts

If anyone's interested, the latest issue of MMWR is a report of the investigation into the multi-state salmonella investigation.

It is, of course, written in nerd-speak, but this for most of us would be the key sentence:

Sequential case-control studies have indicated significant associations between illness and consumption of any peanut butter (matched odds ratio [mOR] = 2.53), and specific brands of prepackaged peanut butter crackers (mOR = 12.25), but no association with national brand jarred peanut butter sold in grocery stores [emphasis added].
Translation: you don't have to throw away your jars of Jif.

I have some thoughts on how the whole mess happened (among other things, under the current Republican-controlled legislature, the state of Georgia cut funding for its agricultural inspectors), but I think I'll save them for this weekend.

3 comments:

  1. No big surprise there. The upsetting thing to me, is the company has been aware of the problem, yet still produced and shipped their product. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone better let the army know. Its reported that they are dumping their peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I locked my jar of peanut butter up in a safe box..nobody's getting MY pb

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.