Sunday, August 9, 2009

My afternoon

Local peaches from Publix.
Despite the label, I think the "local" was actually South Carolina. Close enough.
Turned out peeling peaches (something I'd never attempted before) isn't any harder than peeling tomatoes, and you use the same technique (quick scalding in boiling water, then into ice water, and the skins slither right off).
Crushed peaches prior to cooking bear a disturbing resemblance to something you'd find Sunday morning on the sidewalk in front of a frat house.
End result -- six jars of peach jam.

And I still have enough peaches left to make a cobbler. Life is good.

The recipe, from a USDA extension booklet that's at least 50 years old (it was my mother's):

Peach jam with powdered pectin

3 3/4 cups crushed peaches (takes about 3 pounds peaches)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

Sort and wash fully ripe peaches. Remove stems, skins, and pits. Crush the peaches.

Measure crushed peaches into a kettle. Add the lemon juice and pectin and stir well. Place on high heat and, stirring constantly, bring quickly to a full boil with bubbles over the entire surface.

Add the sugar, continue stirring, and heat again to a full bubbling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat; skim and stir alternately for 5 minutes. Ladle jam into hot containers and seal immediately.

Makes about 8 6-ounce glasses.

3 comments:

  1. We used to have an Apricot tree and I made jam every summer. I miss that. I should go out and buy fruit like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay peach jam! I made some about a month and a half ago and it's out of this world good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing better than homemade peach jam..sigh* texas peaches got a asskicking this year and are small and tough..

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.