Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Maybe I read too much

I think I'm starting off the new year reading a book I've read before. When I spotted Flash and Bones on the remainder table at Barnes and Noble back in November, I was sure it was one in the Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs that I hadn't read before. Now I'm wondering if it happened to be one I managed to snag at the library almost as soon as it came out in 2011 and I just didn't remember.

I had that happen to me twice this year at the library -- I spotted a book that looked interesting, the title did not ring any bells, and then when I got into it, it was like, whoa, I have read this sucker before. The most disconcerting part was going back, checking the reading list I keep on this blog, and discovering it wasn't actually that long ago. I guess this is the curse of the fast reader. If a book is good but not great, it doesn't stick in my mind that long.

Oh well, at least it's been long enough that I'm not remembering any plot details.  I've read enough of the Bones books to know there are some predictable plot elements -- the ending for sure will involve Tempe doing something super stupid, like deciding to check out a suspect without telling anyone where she's going, because she does that in every book, but she'll survive. She has to survive. I've already read the Bones book that follows this one in the series.

2 comments:

  1. I can't help it: books are an addiction...I have got to have them even though I have run out of places to keep them.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with a book club selection this year - it was bad enough that I bought it twice but it was a terrible book!!

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.