Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Another stereotype debunked

See, it really isn't cat on the all-you-can eat Chinese buffet:

Restaurant closed after dead deer found in kitchen

HAMBURG, N.Y. — Health officials shut down a suburban Buffalo restaurant after an inspector found employees butchering a dead deer inside the business. Erie County Health Department officials said they got a tip Friday about a dead deer in the China King restaurant in the town of Hamburg, just south of Buffalo. An inspector soon arrived and saw the deer being butchered in the kitchen.

State health laws prohibit butchering an animal inside a restaurant. Officials don't know whether the deer had been killed by a hunter or a vehicle. They said there was no indication the deer meat was served to any customers. The message on the restaurant's answering machine Monday says it was closed because of "family
emergencies."

It's roadkill.

3 comments:

  1. my son worked at a chinese rest. in waco ..one of the most popular ones in town...and he worked there for about 3 hours and quit..said there was grease dripping from the walls and ceilings and it was the filthiest place he had ever seen. thats why i don't like to eat in restuarants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they bother with cats in any place like that, there isn't much on a cat for the work it would take to get it.

    But a deer makes sense. And I would eat a dish with it in it. I don't suppose it would bother me being butchered in the joint. But I was born and raised in the West where we often did things like that in our homes.

    And when I was a kid Grandpa would shoot an antelope and put it in the bed of the truck and put a tarp over it and we would eat off of it until it got so bad that he had to toss the rest out for the critters to finish off. Ever eat meat that you cut off the part that the maggots where eating on? I lived through it, we all did.

    I cooked in a cafe for a while, and had a food handlers card. Food that is cooked properly, even in less than ideal conditions doesn't bother me that much.

    But uncooked things do. Like salads, I got fired because I got on a waitress for not washing her hands and sanitizing her work area before preparing lettuce and such.

    Screw it, in my kitchen I'm the king so it didn't bother me to be fired. In this state the health department is very active so it generally doesn't bother me to eat out the little that I do.

    But I avoid fresh salads and such most of the time and just stick with cooked items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After working in restaurants, I have to just not think about it if I eat out.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.